Mexican businesses are obliged to submit all outgoing invoices electronically to SAT using the CFDI (Certificado Fiscal Digital por Internet – Digital Fiscal Certificate via Internet). The CFDI is the document that vouches for an invoice. It is a file that includes all necessary information for a valid business transaction and is, once it has been transmitted to SAT, returned stamped with a unique electronic invoice number. This way, all involved parties are assured the invoice has been authorized and registered by SAT.
In 2016 SAT announced to be releasing a revised and simplified version of the e-invoicing system in the year following - E-invoicing CFDI version 3.3 will be valid and mandatory for all Mexican businesses starting January 1st 2018.
The new version 3.3 is a simplified version of the version 3.2, which will reduces the chance for human error at the time of data registration. In the same way, the purpose is to make invoicing something more friendly for both small, medium and large size companies. It also seeks to increase the quality of the information found on the invoice, in order to eliminate or prevent fraudulent practices. The changes in the new billing version of the SAT are mainly in the structure and XML format. A total of 40 attributes were eliminated and 20 different ones were introduced.
Some of the most relevant changes were:
- Classification of the vouchers in: Income, Exit, Transfer, Payroll and Payment
- Use of catalogs for the registration of most of the information
- Registration of previous CFDI's, which are related to the operation performed
- Registration of the Product- or Service-Key as well as the Units, according to SAT catalog
- Definition of Taxes on line level
- Application of discounts by amount
- Generation of a Confirmation Code when the total of the CFDI 3.3 exceeds the maximum allowed value, or exceeds the variation percentage that applies to the currency
Since May 2017, Scope users can already create, send and receive CFDI invoices directly from Scope. For them to continue doing this in 2018, Scope has been prepared for CFDI version 3.3 by implementing all the necessary requirements. And best of all: Scope users will not have to do anything since Scope is automatically enabled for CFDI 3.3 once the time comes. Our customers who use the Scope CFDI invoicing module will receive separate information about the minor changes that are made on admin level.